The televised 2020 New Year speech of Chinese President Xi Jinping has grabbed the attention of millions. From warm greetings to catchy quotes and inspiring words of encouragement, the messages of President Xi have gone viral on Chinese social media.
In addition to the speech, his office, from where he has given seven New Year speeches, has also stirred public fascination.
This year, 18 photos were spotted on the bookshelves of his office, three more than a year ago. Among them, 11 are newly displayed. What are they? Let's have a look.
The following five photos have been in Xi's office for the past several years. They are a record of Xi's youth, love and family affection.
This year, there are three more old photographs of Xi, including two that were made public for the first time.
There are another two pictures that were spotted during the last New Year speech.
9. Xi leads other members of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the CPC Central Committee to review the oath of the CPC when visiting the site where the first CPC National Congress was held in 1921, in Shanghai, East China, on October 31, 2017.
10. Xi takes a public oath of allegiance to the Constitution at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing on March 17, 2018, after he was reelected president and chairman of the Central Military Commission of the PRC at the First Session of the 13th National People's Congress, the national legislature.
Among the 11 new photos displayed in the office, eight were taken in 2019, including three connected with protecting the environment. "Lucid waters and lush mountains are invaluable assets," President Xi Jinping stressed on multiple occasions. The three photos have also testified the importance Xi has laid on environmental protection.
11. Xi talks with school children as he attends a tree-planting activity in Tongzhou district in Beijing, capital of China, April 8, 2019.
12. Xi visits the Babusha Forest Farm, an afforestation area, and learns about the efforts and progress in desertification control in Gulang county of Wuwei city, Northwest China's Gansu Province, August 21, 2019. Xi made an inspection tour of Gansu from August 19 to 22, 2019.
13. Xi visits a Yellow River management area to learn about the management, protection and flood control project construction of the Yellow River in Lanzhou, Gansu Province, August 21, 2019.
"The most memorable moment of 2019 was the celebrations for the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China (PRC)," Xi said in his 2020 New Year Speech. To celebrate the 70th founding anniversary of the PRC, China held several large-scale events around the National Day in Beijing, including presenting the highest state honors and a military parade.
On Xi's bookshelf, there are three photos recording the exciting moments.
14. Xi walks into the venue for presentation ceremony of national medals and honorary titles of the PRC with awardees at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, on September 29, 2019.
15. Xi reviews troops in a car along Beijing's Chang'an Avenue near Tian'anmen Square, ahead of a military parade for the celebrations marking the 70th anniversary of the founding of the PRC in Beijing on October 1, 2019.
16. Xi reviews the armed forces during celebrations for the 70th anniversary of the founding of the PRC in Beijing, October 1, 2019.
2019 was another busy year for President Xi. Last year, he made nine inspections tours across the country, involving 11 provincial-level administrative regions, including Tianjin, Chongqing, Gansu, Henan, Shanghai and Macao SAR.
In addition, he attended several international events China hosted in 2019, including the Second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation, the International Horticultural Exhibition 2019 Beijing and the Second China International Import Expo.
He also made seven foreign trips that encompassed 12 countries to forge broader consensus and closer partnerships for jointly building a community with a shared future for mankind.
17. Xi and foreign leaders walk to attend the opening ceremony of the Second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation in Beijing, capital of China, April 26, 2019. Xi delivered a keynote speech at the opening ceremony.
18. Xi visits residents' homes in the Qianmen area in central Beijing, Feburary 1, 2019. President Xi on that day visited residents and primary-level officials in Beijing and extended Lunar New Year greetings to Chinese people of all ethnic groups.
(Photos: CCTV, Xinhua)