Chinese health authorities announced Thursday that 571 confirmed cases of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) had been reported in 25 provincial-level regions in the country by the end of Wednesday.
A total of 393 suspected cases have been reported, according to the National Health Commission (NHC).
The pneumonia situation had resulted in 17 deaths, all in central China's Hubei Province. The deaths reported from the disease were aged between 48 and 89, according to the commission.
A total of 5,897 close contacts have been traced, the commission said, adding that among them, 4,928 are under medical observation while 969 others have been discharged.
Based on the current knowledge, the incubation period of the virus, the interval between infection to onset of symptoms, can be as long as about 14 days, according to a prevention and control plan released Wednesday by the NHC.
Here are tips from the World Health Organization and China's National Health Commission to keep you safe from the coronavirus:
- Wear masks outdoors. Make sure to wear it properly by tightening up the nose clip and pulling the bottom of it over your chin so that your nose and mouth are both covered.
- Cover nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing with tissue or flexed elbow.
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Thoroughly cook meat and eggs. No unprotected contact with live wild or farm animals.
- Wash your hands with soap and running water when hands are visibly dirty. If your hands are not visibly dirty, wash them with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand cleanser.
- Maintain good ventilation in public places.
- Strengthen your immune system and exercise regularly.
- Seek prompt medical help if you have symptoms of fever and respiratory infection.