HAIKOU, Feb. 26 (Xinhua) -- China's southernmost island province of Hainan on Wednesday became the latest in the crop of Chinese provinces that lowered their emergency response to the novel coronavirus after reporting no or few new cases in the past week.
The response level of the tropical province would be lowered from first-level to third-level starting 5 p.m. Wednesday, Hainan's headquarters for COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control said at a press conference.
Li Wenxiu, a spokesperson for the headquarters, said control efforts have proved effective, and the province reported few confirmed cases in the past week, with no sign of in-community spread.
The province has so far registered 168 confirmed cases and five deaths.
Since late January, all provincial-level regions on the Chinese mainland have activated top-level emergency responses to COVID-19, canceling mass events, closing scenic attractions and suspending long-distance buses.