Head of the information department of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Hua Chunying, on Wednesday summoned a US embassy official, to lodge "solemn representations" over the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's improper comments on China's handling of the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) issue and the US move to restrict Chinese news agencies in the US.
Hua pointed out in a statement that "Pompeo's so-called freedom of speech which blatantly supported the serious mistakes made by WSJ and the irresponsible remarks about China's effort against COVID-19 is unacceptable, and the threats against Chinese media are even more unacceptable."
She said China's defense came after the unreasonable offense and provocation from the US.
"In recent years, the US has taken multiple restrictive measures against Chinese news agencies in the US while Chinese journalists there reported the US in an object way and upheld professional ethics," Hua elaborated.
Hua also said that if the US further harasses and restricts Chinese news agencies in the US, China must take further action.
China's Foreign Ministry Wednesday also confirmed that the WSJ has recently made contact with the Chinese government and admitted it was a mistake to publish the controversial opinion piece, which China denounced as racist.
Last week, China revoked the press credentials of three WSJ reporters in the wake of the opinion piece titled "China is the Real Sick Man of Asia." The article has triggered anger and condemnation among Chinese at home and abroad.