China maintains its objection to the reimposition of sanctions against Iran, said the Chinese Foreign Ministry on Friday, urging the US to resume talks with Iran.
“China is always opposed to unilateral sanctions and ‘long-arm’ jurisdiction,” said spokesman Lu Kuang in a written statement.
The first phase of the two-part US sanctions took effect on Tuesday, reactivating restrictions on Iran’s use of the US dollar. The second phase of punishment will block the sales of oil and petrochemical products from Iran starting November 4.
Iranians walk by a mural painting of a US flag depicts skulls in place of the stars at Karim Khan Zand Avenue in downtown Tehran on August 7, 2018. (Photo: VCG)
Sanctions or the threat of sanctions will lead to a dead end, and only talks and negotiations offer a true way out of the current US-Iran standoff, said the statement.
China is willing to work with all parties to continue safeguarding the Iran nuclear deal, Chinese State Council and Foreign Minister Wang Yi told his Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif, as they met last week in Singapore.
European leaders have taken a similar stance, seeking ways to protect European companies doing business with Iran.
Describing bilateral business exchanges as “logical, reasonable and lawful,” Lu called for respect and protection for the current commercial cooperation between China and Iran.
The deals are open, transparent and normal, don’t violate related resolutions of the United Nations or China’s commitments, and pose no harm to any third country, added Lu.