The Chinese embassy in Austria has urged overseas Chinese to stay at home after a terrorist attack in central Vienna left at least one dead and 15 injured.
The embassy said a shooting occurred near Schwedenplatz on Monday, and reminded overseas Chinese in Austria, Chinese students, and employees of Chinese enterprises to pay attention to personal safety.
Overseas Chinese in Vienna are encouraged to pay attention to official news and comply with police requirements, and not go out. In the event of an emergency, the embassy said they should report to police and contact the Chinese embassy immediately.
The attacks occurred at six locations close to Schwedenplatz in the heart of the Austrian capital, according to the Guardian. At least one person has been killed and 15 people injured in the terrorist attack. No injuries of Chinese citizens were reported as of press time.
The topic "terrorist attack in Vienna" remained one of the most viewed on Chinese social media platform Sina Weibo, so far garnering more than 74 million views.
Chinese readers expressed sympathy online, with some saying, "What a difficult time for Europe, epidemic and terrorist attack coming at the same time," and condemning the brutal actions.
The incident was described as a "repulsive terror attack" by Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz, while French President Emmanuel Macron tweeted, "After France, a friendly country is attacked. This is our Europe. Our enemies must know who they are dealing with. We will not give up."