CHINA Foreign Ministry confirms detention of Australian

CHINA

Foreign Ministry confirms detention of Australian

China Daily

17:31, January 24, 2019

W020190124659990873191.jpg

Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying. (Photo: fmprc.gov.cn)

The Foreign Ministry confirmed on Thursday that Australian citizen Yang Hengjun had been detained on suspicion of engaging in activities that threatened China's national security.

"China has officially informed the Australian embassy in China about this case," ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a regular press conference in Beijing.

According to Hua, it is an operation taken by the Beijing State Security Bureau in accordance with law.

"The case is still under investigation, and the legitimate rights and interests of Yang have been safeguarded," she said.

In a statement released on Thursday, the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said Chinese authorities gave formal notification to the Australian embassy in Beijing on Wednesday night that Yang had been detained.

According to media reports, the 53-year-old Yang had flown into Guangzhou Baiyun airport from New York last week, and his friends lost contact with him starting last Friday.

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue