Beijing expressed strong dissatisfaction on Thursday after a British naval vessel sailed into territorial waters off China's Xisha Islands.
China has called for an immediate cessation of such provocative actions.
Amphibious warship HMS Albion passed near the Xisha Islands on August 31 on its way to Vietnam.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said the ship entered territorial waters without permission from the Chinese government, and China's Navy verified and identified the warship in accordance with law and warned it to leave.
A Ministry of National Defense spokesman said that such an action undermines China's sovereignty and security interests, and can easily lead to accidents in the air and sea. (China Daily)
China spent 188.2 billion yuan ($27.5 billion) last year helping 95.9 million students — from preschools to universities — attend school, the Ministry of Education said on Thursday.
The funding represented an increase of 92 percent from 2011, while the number of students receiving financial support from the government was up 22 percent in the same period, Tian Zuyin, director of the National Center for Student Financial Aid, told a news conference in Beijing.
A total of 520 million students received financial assistance totaling 886.4 billion yuan between 2012 and 2018. China will further improve funding for students so that no one will have to drop out of school because of family financial difficulty.
Education authorities and schools should respect and protect students' privacy when assessing their families' economic conditions or giving out grants, allowing students in need to accept aid with dignity, Tian said. (China Daily)
Brazil's right-wing presidential frontrunner Jair Bolsonaro was seriously injured Thursday when he was stabbed with a knife while campaigning in the country's southeast.
His son said he suffered injuries to the liver, lung and intestine and had "lost a lot of blood.”
Images shared on social media and Brazilian television showed Bolsonaro being carried on the shoulders of a throng of supporters, before a man lunges at his stomach.
A military police spokesman said a 40-year-old man had been arrested.
He said the man was carrying a knife wrapped in fabric.
Despite being a long-serving member of Congress, Bolsonaro has successfully presented himself as an outsider, untouched by the corruption scandals engulfing so much of the political elite. (AFP)
The gunman who killed three people and wounded two others at a bank in downtown Cincinnati Thursday morning was identified as a 29-year-old Ohio state resident.
Omar Perez, 29, acted alone when he opened fire at the headquarters of Fifth Third Bank inside a 30-story building near the Fountain Square in downtown Cincinnati, the city's Police Chief Eliot Isaac told reporters Thursday afternoon.
Isaac said officers responded to a 911 call around 9:10 a.m. local time (0110 GMT Friday) about an "active shooter" at the bank.
Five people were shot, including three who died from their injuries. One person died at the scene, and two victims died at the hospital, police said.
Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley said in a statement posted on Twitter that "Random mass shootings, which plague our nation, are not normal and we as a country can't allow them to be normalized."
The motive for the shooting was not yet known. (Xinhua)
It has threatened to withdraw if Houthi delegates remain absent.
The UN-sponsored talks between the two warring rivals were scheduled to start on Thursday, but the Houthi leaders decided to set new conditions before talks.
This includes flying some of their seriously injured members to Oman to receive treatment.
On Thursday, a source from Sanaa airport said there was no plane there yet for the Houthi delegation.
The poor Arab country has been locked in a civil war since the Iranian-backed Shiite Houthi rebels overran much of the country militarily and seized all northern provinces, including the capital Sanaa. (Xinhua)
Chinese tech giant Tencent is ready to upgrade its anti-addiction system to prevent the online game "King of Glory" from having an unhealthy impact on children.
Tencent says starting from September 15, when new users log in the game for the first time, the real-name authentication system will be launched and their identification will be verified through the database of the public security authority.
The verification can accurately determine whether the real-name information of the relevant account is a minor, and then decide whether to include this account into its anti-addiction system, Tencent says. The tech giant is set to enter other online game products developed by the company onto the public security platform before the end of September.
The public security authority data platform is mainly used in finance, credit, government affairs and other sectors. "King of Glory", however, takes the lead in using the platform for identity verification, which is the first for the gaming industry in China. (Xinhua)
And China's top political adviser, Wang Yang, said China stands ready to work with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea to safeguard, consolidate, and develop bilateral ties.
Wang made the remarks at a reception to mark the 70th anniversary of the founding of the DPRK.
He said China believes that the DPRK's socialist cause will embrace new bright prospects as it implements the decision at the Third Plenary Meeting of the Seventh Central Committee of the Workers Party of Korea to adjust the strategic route and focus on developing the economy. (Xinhua)