CHINA Suspected gunman who killed 2 and injured 3 in SW China found dead: police

CHINA

Suspected gunman who killed 2 and injured 3 in SW China found dead: police

Global Times

23:02, July 30, 2022

File photo

A 36-year-old homicide suspect surnamed Li, who is suspected of shooting two dead and wounding three others on Tuesday in Muchuan county in Leshan City, Southwest China's Sichuan Province, was found dead on Saturday, according to local police.

The body of the suspect, who had been at large since the case was first reported, was found during a search operation in the mountainous area of Huangdan township in Muchuan county, according to a notice issued by Leshan police.

DNA test results show that the body is the suspected Li, with police believing the suspect fell to his death. The case is still under investigation, the notice said.

The gun and bullets involved in the case was seized by police earlier and the Muchuan police bureau on Wednesday released a notice announcing a reward of 100,000 yuan ($14,821) for those who can provide useful tips or information leading to the arrest of the suspect.

Li, who is about 170 centimeters tall, was born on October 15, 1986, according to the notice released by the local police. The injured are being treated in hospital, and are in good condition, said the police on Wednesday.

An onsite video showed an unmanned aerial vehicle with a loudspeaker saying, "you're surrounded; voluntarily turn yourself in," according to earlier media reports.

An employee from Muchuan police bureau said the suspect had a motive to commit crimes but the employee didn't say why the suspect had a gun as the investigation is underway, according to media reports.

The suspect reportedly abandoned the car near an electric power station and fled into the mountains based on the local villagers. Then he seized a motorcycle nearby and ran away on Tuesday, according to Shandong-based Haibao News.

A local resident who participated in the search told Haibao News that they went into the mountains at 8 am and searched until 5 pm. They were divided into different groups with at least five people in one team for safety, according to the report.

At least 300 militiamen participated the searching operation for the suspect, A local resident who participated in the search told Haibao News in earlier interview.

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue