CULTURE Kid Rock’s Detroit eatery closing after his profane comments

CULTURE

Kid Rock’s Detroit eatery closing after his profane comments

AP

03:18, December 05, 2019

800 (1).jpeg

In this Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2018 file photo, Kid Rock performs in Pontiac, Mich. (Photo: AP)

Kid Rock won’t renew his licensing agreement for Kid Rock’s Made in Detroit restaurant, the owners of the sports arena in which it’s housed said Wednesday.

The news comes after the singer and musician were recently filmed delivering a vulgarity-laced rant against Oprah Winfrey.

Chris Granger, group president of sports and entertainment for Ilitch Holdings, said in a statement that Kid Rock “voluntarily decided” not to renew the deal that comes up in April for the restaurant inside Little Caesars Arena. The statement says the Ilitch organization had been in contact with the musician, a Detroit-area native whose real name is Robert Ritchie.

The Associated Press sent an email seeking comment from a spokesman for Kid Rock.

The Ilitch statement says its “venues are open, inviting, inclusive and respectful to all.” The restaurant opened in 2017 in the arena that’s home to the Detroit Pistons and Red Wings.

Apparent cellphone video obtained by TMZ shows Ritchie on stage last month at his steakhouse in Nashville, Tennessee, using graphic language to convey his dislike of Winfrey and Joy Behar, co-host of ABC’s “The View” talk show.

A Detroit activist group said it plans to hold a news conference Wednesday about what it calls a “reprehensible tirade."


Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue