1 killed, 4 injured in electric scooter battery explosion in India

NEW DELHI, April 21 (Xinhua) -- An 80-year-old man was killed and four other people in his family were injured in an indoor electric scooter battery explosion in the southern Indian state of Telangana, local police said Thursday.

The explosion on Wednesday happened in the family's living room where the battery was put for charging, the police said. The family lives in Nizamabad district, about 175 km north of Hyderabad, the capital of Telangana.

"A person namely B Prakash had removed the battery from his electric scooter and kept it for charging at home. His father, mother and son were sleeping in the living room when the battery allegedly exploded injuring them," a police official said. "Prakash and his wife also suffered minor injuries while trying to douse the flames in the room."

The old man, Prakash's father succumbed to his injuries after being hospitalized, police said.

Police said they have registered a case against the company that manufactured the electric scooter.