HEADLINE 1,200 Olympic guards withdrawn over virus outbreak

HEADLINE

1,200 Olympic guards withdrawn over virus outbreak

AFP

11:36, February 06, 2018

微信图片_20180206113550.png

More than 1,200 security guards have been withdrawn from the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics because of a norovirus outbreak, organisers said Tuesday.

Out of the group, 41 suffered a sudden onset of vomiting and diarrhoea on Sunday.

They were transferred to hospital and most were diagnosed with a norovirus infection.

Norovirus is highly contagious and can also be spread through food or water contamination.

"The 1,200-odd people were pulled out from their duties," an official of the Pyeongchang Olympic Organizing Committee told AFP. "They were replaced by some 900 military soldiers."

Health authorities were investigating the origin of the virus, he said. 

The security guards, all employees from a security company, had been accommodated at a youth training centre in Pyeongchang, separate from the athletes' village. 

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue