HEADLINE Austin bomber blew himself up, police say

HEADLINE

Austin bomber blew himself up, police say

By Zhang Mengxu | People's Daily app

18:27, March 21, 2018

BBKuBtK.jpg

Washington (People's Daily) - A suspect in a series of bomb attacks that have terrorized the city of Austin, Texas, blew himself up in his vehicle early Wednesday as officers closed in on him, the authorities said.

US President Donald Trump tweeted praise for law enforcement on Wednesday morning, writing, “AUSTIN BOMBING SUSPECT IS DEAD. Great job by law enforcement and all concerned.”

However, Austin’s mayor is still urging residents to remain vigilant in the state capital. Mayor Steve Adler said Wednesday on NBC’s Today show, “We’re just really relieved and just incredibly thankful for this army of law enforcement that has been in our community here for the last week or so.” 

Since the bombings started on March 2, investigators frantically searched for clues, calling the attacks the work of a "serial bomber" who increasingly changed tactics. The suspect is believed to be responsible for at least six bombs that killed at least two people and wounded five, and left the Texas capital terrorized with fear for 19 days.

The bomber has been identified as Mark Anthony Conditt, 24, according to report.

Top: Austin assistant police chief Ely Reyes addresses the media regarding an incident that law enforcement personnel said involved an incendiary device in the 9800 block of Brodie Lane in Austin, Texas on March 20. (Photo: Reuters)

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue