More than 20 passengers of Goa-Mumbai Tejas Express were today admitted to hospital for food poisoning. The passengers complained of illness after eating the food served on the premium train Tejas Express.
Passengers were treated at the hospital
The train was stopped at Chiplun in the Konkan region of Maharashtra. All the passengers with symptoms of food poisoning were admitted in a hospital. The passengers are said to be stable. But, they are still under observation of the doctors of the private hospital, where they were taken to.
Passengers, who were admitted in the hospital, complained soon after having their breakfast served on the train. About 300 passengers were served breakfast by the pantry staff of the Tejas Express.
Responding to the incident, the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) said that "all the passengers currently hospitalised are out of danger and the same has been confirmed by hospital authorities."
The IRCTC said, "A case of food poisoning reported in train no 22120 Tejas Exp on date upon information from Passengers. The train has stopped out of course as Chiplon and first treatment given to passengers by Rly doctor."
"Further 24 passengers have been admitted in life care hospital for medical assistance. Staff has accompanied passengers to hospital," the IRCTC tweeted.
The IRCTC also said that a probe has been launched to ascertain the source of food poisoning. "Food sample have been taken for investigation. Total no 300 breakfast (170 veg 130 non veg) has been served," the IRCTC said.
"Director, Catering services is proceeding to Mumbai to follow up the matter. Follow up action and monitoring is being done to ensure proper assistance," the IRCTC stated.
The Tejas Express was launched only recently. It runs between Mumbai and Goa as a premium train of the Indian Railways.