SPORTS Argentinian football set to remain in recess until June

SPORTS

Argentinian football set to remain in recess until June

Xinhua

11:52, April 05, 2020

General view during the match played behind closed doors as the number of coronavirus cases grows worldwide in Buenos Aires, Argentina, March 15, 2020. (Photo: Agencies)

BUENOS AIRES -- Argentinian President Alberto Fernandez said Saturday that the country's football competitions - halted since March 17 because of the coronavirus outbreak - are unlikely to resume before June.

Fernandez said health experts had predicted that COVID-19 infections in the South American country would continue rising throughout April and May.

"There are certain activities that will suffer more than others from the quarantine. They include football, cinema, theatre," Fernandez told Radio Mitre.

"Football without spectators would allow for some flexibility. But in May? I don't know. May seems to me to be the worst month because it is when we expect the peak and as such we shouldn't encourage the movement of people."

All football competitions in South America have been in recess since mid-March as a precaution against the coronavirus outbreak, which has claimed the lives of more than 64,000 people worldwide.

On Saturday night, Argentina's health ministry reported 1,451 confirmed cases of the virus so far, 43 of which have been fatal.

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue