Xu Xin (L) and Fan Zhendong (R) of China during men's doubles final at the 2019 ITTF World Tour Grand Finals in Zhengzhou, China, December 15, 2019. (Photo: VCG)
The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) announced on Saturday the extension of the current suspension of all ITTF events and activities up until the end of July, while a restart is expected in August, in the light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
"The situation is being monitored closely for an eventual restart of ITTF events in August 2020," the world table tennis governing body said.
All veterans' tour events and Table Tennis X events have also been canceled for the entire year while ITTF is looking into cost-cutting measures to meet the financial challenges.
Chen Meng of China during women's singles final during 2019 ITTF World Tour Grand Finals in Zhengzhou, China, December 15, 2019. (Photo: VCG)
Earlier in April, the Singapore-based sport organization had canceled the Australian Open and the South Korean Open, both originally slated in June, with the twice-rescheduled Busan team worlds being set for September 27-October 4.
It also promised to discuss the status of the 2020 World Team Table Tennis Championships in June.
"The ITTF Executive Committee will meet again on June 2, 2020, and the ITTF will continue to provide further updates on all upcoming decisions in view of the COVID-19 pandemic," it said on Saturday.
(With input from agencies)