WORLD 5,000 believed missing in two hard-hit Indonesian quake zones: official

WORLD

5,000 believed missing in two hard-hit Indonesian quake zones: official

AFP

16:16, October 07, 2018

海啸搜救.jpg

Policemen holding rifles as they guard at the ruins of a warehouse after it was hit by a tsunami last week in Palu, Sulawesi island, Indonesia October 7, 2018. (Photo: VCG)

As many as 5,000 people are believed missing from two hard-hit areas in Palu more than a week after the Indonesian city was devastated by an earthquake and tsunami, an official said Sunday.

Indonesia's disaster agency said the figure was based on estimates from local heads in the Petobo and Balaroa areas of the city, where entire neighbourhoods disappeared in the twin disaster on Sulawesi island that has seen 1,763 bodies recovered so far.

"Based on reports from the heads of Balaroa and Petobo, there are about 5,000 people who have not been found," agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told reporters Sunday, adding that it was difficult to know the exact figure given the areas were largely buried under mountains of mud and wreckage.

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue