WORLD At least 15 killed after suicide blast rocks funeral in E. Afghan province: official

WORLD

At least 15 killed after suicide blast rocks funeral in E. Afghan province: official

Xinhua

18:00, May 12, 2020

NANGARHAR, Afghanistan, May 12 (Xinhua) -- At least 15 people were killed and 56 others were wounded after a suicide bomb explosion hit a funeral in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar province on Tuesday, a local official confirmed.

afghanistan.jpg

Injured men are transported on a truck to a hospital following a suicide attack at a funeral of a local police commander in Nangarhar on May 12, 2020. Photo by AFP

"The funeral was underway for a former Afghan local police official in Kuz Kunar district Tuesday morning. A suspected suicide bomb blast went off roughly at 11:00 a.m. (local time), leaving the casualties," a security source told Xinhua anonymously.

Those among the killed was Abdullah Malakzai, a member of the provincial council, and a member of the national parliament sustained injuries in the incident, the source said.

Many of the wounded received life-threatening wounds and were sent to hospitals in Kuz Kunar and provincial capital Jalalabad city.

Further details about the incident are still forthcoming amid the absence of any official statement.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.

Militants of the Taliban outfit and Islamic State (IS) group both have presence in the mountainous province.

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue