WORLD Cambodia launches national campaign against COVID-19

WORLD

Cambodia launches national campaign against COVID-19

Xinhua

20:40, August 16, 2021

A man, left, transports sacks of scrap materials outside Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Friday, Aug 13, 2021. (Photo: AP)

PHNOM PENH, Aug. 16 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia on Monday launched a national campaign against the coronavirus under the theme "Responsible Together to Prevent COVID-19 Transmission."

The campaign aimed at reminding and encouraging all people to strictly abide by necessary measures to contain the spread of COVID-19 and its variants, said a health ministry's press statement.

"Although there is a decline in new infections and deaths in some provinces, the risk of a surge in COVID-19 due to the Delta variant is very high," the statement said.

The statement said it is imperative that the guideline on the three do's and three don'ts, which was introduced in mid-December, be reinforced to suppress the virus transmission.

The three do's include wearing a face mask, washing hands frequently and maintaining the physical distancing of 1.5 meters, while the three don'ts are avoiding confined and enclosed spaces, avoiding crowded spaces, and avoiding touching each other, it said.

Health Minister Mam Bunheng called on people to share their knowledge of COVID-19 preventive measures with their friends, family members, relatives and neighbors in order to curb the virus transmission more effectively.

He advised the governors of all cities and provinces to conduct a campaign in their respective territories to enhance awareness among the public about preventive measures of COVID-19.

The minister also asked local authorities to use all means including TVs, radios, social media, mobile loudspeakers, banners and leaflets to spread the awareness to the people.

Also, he urged people to report to local authorities immediately if someone returned home from high risk areas or from overseas without going into a mandatory quarantine.

The Southeast Asian nation has been enduring the third wave of COVID-19 community transmission since Feb. 20.

The kingdom confirmed a daily record of 593 cases on Monday, pushing the national total caseload to 86,041, the health ministry said, adding that 21 more fatalities had been recorded, taking the overall death toll to 1,704.

Another 806 patients had recovered, bringing the total number of recoveries to 81,202, it said.

The country began a COVID-19 vaccination drive on Feb. 10, targeting to vaccinate 12 million people, or 75 percent of its 16-million population, by November.

To date, some 8.94 million people, or 55.9 percent of the total population, have received at least one vaccine dose, while 7.25 million of them, or 45.3 percent, have completed the two-dose inoculation.

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue