WORLD Death toll from buildings collapse in southern France reaches 5

WORLD

Death toll from buildings collapse in southern France reaches 5

Xinhua

07:07, November 08, 2018

BUILDING.jpeg

(Photo: China Daily)

PARIS, Nov. 7 (Xinhua) -- A fifth body was found in the rubble of the two buildings that collapsed earlier this week in the French port city of Marseille, regional authorities said on Wednesday.

Emergency teams discovered the body of a man under the debris Wednesday morning, according to Marseille prosecutor Xavier Tarabeux.

Two female and two male bodies have already been found in the rubble of the buildings that collapsed Monday morning.

Three people were still missing and feared to be killed.

The cause of the collapse was not immediately clear, but one of the buildings was in poor condition and had been subject to an evacuation order. However, authorities said squatters might have been using it.

Police and rescue teams are still scambling to find survivors. Their "meticulous and delicate" operation could last several days, according to Interior Minister Christophe Castaner.

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue