WORLD Death toll from Turkey's earthquake rises to 35: minister

WORLD

Death toll from Turkey's earthquake rises to 35: minister

Xinhua

08:49, November 01, 2020

Photo: Agencies

ISTANBUL, Oct. 31 (Xinhua) -- Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said on Saturday that the death toll in the strong earthquake that hit Turkey's western province of Izmir has increased to 35.

Speaking to reporters in Izmir, Koca said 243 people are under treatment in the hospitals, while eight others in intensive care units, three of whom are in critical condition.

Koca said earlier that at least 885 people were wounded in the tremor, which struck the Aegean Sea off the Seferihisar district on Friday.

The minister also urged citizens in the disaster areas to strictly follow the coronavirus-related rules to reduce the infection risk.

Meanwhile, rescue teams saved a mother and her three children from rubble 23 hours after the earthquake.

Another citizen was rescued from the debris of an apartment building 26 hours after the quake, according to press reports.

Rescue operations are continuing nonstop to reach more survivors trapped in the ruins.


Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue