Police and forensic officials inspect a blast spot at the Shangri-la hotel in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Sunday, April 21, 2019. (Photo: AP)
New Delhi (People’s Daily) - The death toll from eight explosions which rocked Sri Lanka Sunday has risen to 310, while over 500 people have been injured, police said on Tuesday.
Thirty foreigners were among those killed, the country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
Police spokesperson Ruwan Gunasekara said so far 26 suspects have been arrested from across the country and search operations were ongoing to nab more suspects.
He said security would remain beefed up across the island country and urged people to avoid gathering in public places.
He also asked people to immediately inform the police if any suspicious packets were found abandoned on the roads or public transport.
Sri Lanka's cabinet spokesperson Rajitha Senaratne told reporters on Monday that police had received prior information on possible terror attacks but adequate measures had not been taken.
He said the government would look into this and apologized to the nation over the deadly attacks.
President Maithripala Sirisena declared a conditional state of emergency from midnight Monday to ensure citizens remain safe and for the maintenance of essential supplies and services.
(With input from Xinhua)