5 policemen killed by Israeli bombing in N. Gaza: statement
Xinhua
1779539946000

GAZA, May 23 (Xinhua) -- Five Palestinian policemen were killed by Israeli bombing of a police site in the northern Gaza Strip on Saturday, Gaza's General Directorate of Police said in a statement.

Residents inspect the rubble of a building that was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike in Nuseirat, central Gaza Strip, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (Photo: AP)

Eyewitnesses and local sources said Israeli drones fired two missiles at the site in the al-Tuam area northwest of Gaza City, triggering a large explosion, flames, and damage to parts of the building.

Palestinian medical sources told Xinhua that rescue teams recovered the bodies of at least five people and transported more than six injured individuals to hospitals for treatment.

There was no immediate comment from the Israeli army on the incident.

The strike came amid ongoing military escalation in the Gaza Strip despite a ceasefire agreement reached in October 2025. Israeli forces have continued to carry out airstrikes targeting Hamas-related sites across the enclave.

Earlier on Saturday, Gaza health authorities said hospitals in the Gaza Strip had received eight bodies and 29 wounded people over the past 48 hours.

According to Gaza health authorities, since the ceasefire took effect in October 2025, Israeli attacks have killed 890 people and injured 2,677 others, bringing the overall death toll in Gaza since Oct. 7, 2023, to 72,783, with 172,779 wounded.