JAKARTA, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from a 7.7-magnitude earthquake that struck Indonesia's East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) province has risen to 54, the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) said Monday.

This photo provided by Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) shows rescuers evacuating an injured person after an earthquake on Flores Island, Indonesia, on Aug. 16, 2026. (Photo: Xinhua)
BNPB chief Suharyanto said authorities were continuing to assess casualties and damage, while rescue teams were providing medical assistance to hundreds of injured people.
As of Sunday, more than 12,000 people had been left homeless, with the earthquake damaging homes and public facilities. The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said aftershocks were continuing.
Authorities have deployed land, sea and air transportation, including 11 aircraft and helicopters, to deliver relief supplies and support evacuation efforts in remote areas, including Palue Island in Sikka regency.
A field hospital is also being prepared at Golo Dukal Stadium after the earthquake damaged Manggarai Regional Hospital and disrupted local health services.