WORLD Esper sees no immediate need to send more US troops to Gulf

WORLD

Esper sees no immediate need to send more US troops to Gulf

AP

06:03, December 08, 2019

800 (12).jpeg

US Defense Secretary Mark Esper. (Photo: AP)

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Friday the Trump administration is keeping a close eye on unrest in Iran and Iraq, but he sees no immediate need to send any substantial number of additional US forces to the region.

“Right now we believe we have sufficient capability in the theater to deter what we need to deter,” he told reporters flying with him to California.

He said he routinely reviews the adequacy of US military forces in all regions of the globe, taking commanders’ recommendations and requests into account. He said this includes the volatile Middle East, where the Pentagon has already added about 14,000 troops since May.

Depending on circumstances, “there may be some minor augmentations” of forces in the Middle East, as well as routine rotations of units, he said. But no major additions are currently being considered.

Other officials had said earlier this week that an option under consideration called for deploying between 5,000 and 7,000 troops to the Gulf area, but no decisions had been made. Esper’s comments seemed to cast doubt on that option.


Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue