WORLD Honduras opposition candidate admits defeat in disputed poll

WORLD

Honduras opposition candidate admits defeat in disputed poll

AFP

05:09, December 23, 2017

Salvador Nasralla (C) said he's "no longer in the running" for president of Honduras. Photo: AFP/Orlando Sierra

Salvador Nasralla, Honduras' leftist presidential candidate who had bitterly disputed the results of last month's election, admitted on Friday that he had been defeated.

His announcement came after the United States recognized the re-election victory of his opponent, President Juan Orlando Hernandez. 

"With the decision by Washington, I am no longer in the running," Nasralla told the HCH television station.

The US State Department had earlier congratulated Hernandez, 49, on his re-election, with the proviso that all "irregularities" in the vote be fully investigated.

Washington is Honduras' main aid donor and largest trading partner and US diplomats have been following events nervously since the November 26 election.

Vote counting took more than a week, with mysterious breaks in the process, triggering accusations by the leftist opposition alliance that Hernandez only won through fraud.

Violent protests erupted across the country, in which Amnesty International said at least 14 people had been killed.

According to the official results, Hernandez beat Nasralla by 1.5 percentage points.

Nasralla said Hernandez's win was "imposed on us by them," a reference to the United States.

"They are very afraid of left-wing governments," Nasralla said.

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue