(File photo: Zarif /VCG)
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said no meeting has been planned with US officials, including his counterpart Mike Pompeo, at the UN General Assembly, the news agency Tasnim reported on Saturday.
Asked about the likelihood of a meeting with US officials, including Pompeo, on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, Zarif said, “No, no such meeting is planned. We have repeatedly announced our position.”
He said there were also no plans for a meeting with US officials on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York next month, which both Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and his US counterpart Donald Trump are due to attend.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani dismissed a US call for talks without preconditions last Monday, hours before Washington moved to impose new sanctions in line with President Donald Trump's decision to pull out of a 2015 agreement over Iran's nuclear program.
Rouhani said last week that Iran "always welcomed negotiations" but that Washington would first have to demonstrate it can be trusted.
"About the recent offer by Trump, our official position has been announced both by the president (Rouhani) and myself. The Americans lack honesty," Zarif was quoted as saying by Tasnim.
Asked whether a message from the US was to be delivered to Iran by Omani officials, Zarif said: "There is no such message," Tasnim reported.
Zarif said earlier this week that Oman and Switzerland had acted as mediators in talks with the US in the past but that there were currently no direct or indirect talks being held with the US.