WORLD Iran urges US to change approach to 2015 nuke deal before re-negotiation

WORLD

Iran urges US to change approach to 2015 nuke deal before re-negotiation

Xinhua

03:05, November 06, 2018

Mohammad-Javad-Zarif.jpg

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. (Photo: Agencies)

TEHRAN, Nov. 5 (Xinhua) -- The Iranian top diplomat said on Monday that the talks with the United States over a new nuclear agreement remains open if Washington changes its approach to the 2015 international nuclear deal, Press TV reported.

Iran would consider new diplomacy if there were "foundations for a fruitful dialogue" on the Iranian nuclear deal, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif was quoted as saying.

However, the current US "government does not believe in diplomacy. It believes in imposition," he added.

"It is mutual respect, not mutual trust that is a requirement to start negotiations," Zarif noted.

All US anctions against Iran which were lifted under the 2015 nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), returned on Monday, targeting many of Iran's critical sectors such as energy, shipping, shipbuilding and finance.

Earlier in the day, Zarif said the US withdrawal from the multilateral JCPOA in May was a "scandal" for Washington.

"Today, we can see ... the JCPOA was so much in favor of Iran's interests that America withdrew from it scandalously," Zarif told Iran's parliament. 

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue