Chiang Mai Airport. (Photo: Agencies)
BANGKOK, July 26 (Xinhua) -- Officials of Chiang Mai Airport in northern Thailand Friday said that they suspected the leaked liquid inside an American tourist's backpack caused the explosion of her power bank.
Thananrat Prasertsri, deputy director of Chiang Mai airport, said it might be a liquid from the American traveller's cosmetics, or water bottle, spilled on the power bank and caused the fire.
The explosion took place last week when a portable charge of a foreign traveller caught fire when she was a the airport to the northern province, reports said.
A footage from the airport released by the airport showed that the frightened woman ran quickly to throw her bag on the road when flames suddenly emerged. Her belongings were damaged but no one was hurt.
The woman then pulled the bag from the road, leaving the power bank on the road.
The clip showed a security guard standing nearby tried to take a picture of it and the power bank suddenly burst into flames and quickly spun.
The deputy director advised travelers to separate their power banks from bottles containing liquid.