WORLD Libyan strongman Haftar says open to dialogue

WORLD

Libyan strongman Haftar says open to dialogue

CGTN

03:37, September 27, 2019

9d15954dbbc543e48ab4adf19ab7e682.png

Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar attends a military parade in the eastern city of Benghazi, Libya, May 7, 2018. (Photo: VCG)

Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar, whose forces have been battling to capture the seat of the UN-recognized government in Tripoli since April, has said he is open to dialogue after repeatedly rejecting UN calls for talks.

"When all is said and done, we need dialogue and we need to sit down" at the negotiating table, Haftar, who leads the self-styled Libyan National Army and has united territory in the east of the country in 2011, said in a statement issued on Wednesday night on the eve of a special session on Libya on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York.

Haftar stressed however that dialogue was "not possible so long as terrorist groups and criminal militias control Tripoli," a reference to the myriad of militias that back the Government of National Accord.

He welcomed the special session to be co-chaired by France and Italy in New York later Thursday, saying that he hoped it would come up with "proposals that serve Libya's interests and at the same time restore security and stability."

Earlier this month, Haftar, whose forces control eastern Libya and most of the far-flung oases and oilfields of the desert south, rejected a UN call for renewed peace talks, saying that a military solution was the best way of bringing the conflict to an end.


Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue