WELLINGTON, April 7 (Xinhua) -- New Zealand reported 32 new confirmed and 22 new probable cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, bringing the total number of confirmed and probable infections to 1,160 in the country.
One person has died from COVID-19 so far, and 241 people had recovered, Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield from the Ministry of Health said at a press conference.
Twelve people are in hospitals across New Zealand, with one patient in a critical condition in ICU, Bloomfield said.
New Zealand entered a four-week lockdown, or epidemic response Alert Level 4, on March 26. The government wage subsidy scheme has helped more than one million Kiwis keep their jobs, he said.
The State of National Emergency to support the COVID-19 response will be extended a second time, for a further seven days.
A State of National Emergency provides the people managing the response in an emergency access with powers they would not normally have, but might require now to implement and enforce these measures, according to Minister of Civil Defense Peeni Henare.
Health Minister David Clark said a range of support is being rolled out across New Zealand to help people look after their mental health during COVID-19.