From 11:59 p.m. Friday Australians will no longer be able to enter New Zealand quarantine-free. This will be in place for at least the next eight weeks, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told a press conference on Friday.
For the next seven days there will be managed return flights for New Zealanders from all states and territories that will require proof of a negative pre-departure test, Ardern said.
Additionally, those who have been in Australia's New South Wales will still have to go into managed isolation and quarantine facilities for 14 days. And those who have been in Australia's Victoria must self-isolate upon return and have a negative Day 3 test, she said.
The New Zealand government is working closely with airlines to ensure there are flights available over this period, and extend it for a few days if necessary, the prime minster said.
The decision to suspend travel follows updated public health advice from officials on the growing number of cases and locations of interest across Australia in recent days and weeks, she said.
"There are now multiple outbreaks, and in differing stages of containment, that have forced three states into lockdown. The health risk to New Zealanders from these cases is increasing," Ardern said.
"We've always said that our response would evolve as the virus evolved. This is not a decision we have taken lightly, but it is the right decision to keep New Zealanders safe," she said.
COVID-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said the New Zealand government acknowledges the frustration and inconvenience that comes with any interruption to Trans-Tasman travel.
"Given the high level of transmissibility of the Delta variant, and the fact that there are now multiple community clusters, it is the right thing to do to keep COVID-19 out of New Zealand," Hipkins said.
Trans-Tasman travel resumed in April after New Zealand closed its borders since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic early last year.