WORLD Paris knife attacker was born in 1997 in Chechnya: source

WORLD

Paris knife attacker was born in 1997 in Chechnya: source

Reuters

15:48, May 13, 2018

PARIS (Reuters) - The assailant who killed a 29-year-old man in a central Paris knife attack on Saturday night was born in 1997 in the Chechnya region of Russia, a judicial source said on Sunday.

屏幕快照 2018-05-13 下午3.04.55.png

French police secure a street after a man killed a passer-by in a knife attack in the heart of Paris and injured four others before being shot dead by police, according to French authorities in Paris, France, May 12, 2018. REUTERS/Lucien Libert

The assailant shouted “Allahu akbar (God is greatest),” as he killed the passer-by and wounded four other people before being shot dead by police. [L8N1SJ0KH] 

The father and mother of the attacker are being held for questioning by police, the source said. 

The source did not say what the attacker’s nationality was. BFM TV said he was Russian. 

Earlier, Interior Minister Gerard Collomb told reporters the injured were out of danger. 

“I have seen the person who was seriously injured and is now better,” he said after visiting the victims in hospital. 

France has been on high alert amid a series of attacks commissioned or inspired by the Islamic State militant group that have killed more than 240 people since 2015. 

France “will not yield an inch to the enemies of freedom,” President Emmanuel Macron said shortly after the attack, praising police officers for “neutralizing the terrorist”. 

Police union representative Rocco Contento told Reuters that the assailant, after attacking bystanders with a knife, rushed at police shouting “I will kill you, I will kill you!” 

He was then shot by the officers. 

The attack took place in the heart of the French capital, in a district popular with tourists for its many restaurants and cafes, landmark retail stores, and the Paris opera. 

A picture seen by Reuters, which a source said showed the attacker, showed a bare-chested and bearded young man dressed in black trousers. A source told Reuters the attacker was not previously known to police. 

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack via its Amaq news agency, but provided no proof for its claim. 

Authorities have not yet revealed the identity of the person killed in Saturday’s attack, but the judicial source said he was a man aged 29.



Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue