WORLD Pentagon to extend US troops movement freeze to June 30

WORLD

Pentagon to extend US troops movement freeze to June 30

Xinhua

13:43, April 19, 2020

deadf7fa95ab41398826abfa87d1a4d8.jpg

Photo: Xinhua

U.S. Department of Defense extended its freeze order on the movement of U.S. troops through June 30 due to the COVID-19 outbreak, a Pentagon official announced on Saturday.

Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Matthew Donovan said in a briefing that the new order, which comes into force on Monday, would include eased restrictions and more exemptions allowed compared to the previous order.

Donovan said the latest extension order is "a necessary measure to keep our people safe and our military ready," adding that Defense Secretary Mark Esper would review the policy every 15 days.

Last month, Esper issued an order to stop movements of overseas U.S. forces for up to 60 days to curb the spread of the coronavirus in the military.

The Department of Defense reported nearly 3,000 COVID-19 cases among U.S. services members as of 5 a.m. April 17.

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue