MANILA, March 16 (Xinhua) - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has placed the entire main Luzon island in the Philippines under "enhanced community quarantine" in a drastic bid to contain the spread of the COVID-19 in the country, Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said on Monday.
A Philippine policeman gives directions to a motorist at a checkpoint bordering nearby Cavite province and suburban Las Pinas in Manila on March 15, 2020, as the government steps up efforts to curb the spread of the new coronavirus. (Photo: AFP)
On Sunday, the Philippines had started implementing until April 14 a 30-day lockdown on Metro Manila to force people to stay home.
Panelo said details of the expanded lockdown of the entire Luzon island, where Manila is located, will be announced later Monday.
Panelo said in a press conference earlier that Duterte will also make an announcement on his government's additional measures to contain the deadly virus.
"It's a matter of life and death," Panelo said. He stressed the need to keep people out of the streets and other public places.
The Philippines now has 140 confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 12 deaths. COVID-19 transmission continues to surge despite government's efforts to ramp up its response to epidemic.