WORLD Police reveal 10 victims' names in Kyoto arson attack in Japan

WORLD

Police reveal 10 victims' names in Kyoto arson attack in Japan

Xinhua

19:04, August 02, 2019

TOKYO, Aug. 2 (Xinhua) -- Police on Friday announced some of the names of the victims in last month's arson attack at a Kyoto Animation Co. studio, including famous directors and a veteran animator.

VCG31N1158788162.jpg

A man prays in front of the burnt-out, three-story studio of Kyoto Animation Co. in Kyoto on July 31, 2019, about two weeks after an arson attack that killed 35 people. (Photo: VCG)

After obtaining consent from the victims' families, the police announced 10 victims' names, including Yasuhiro Takemoto, 47, who was a widely praised director.

They also included 37-year-old Futoshi Nishiya, an animation director and 61-year-old animator Yoshiji Kigami.

The police said they waited for their families to come to terms with their deaths and arrange their funerals, before deciding upon the timing and ways of disclosing the identities of the victims.

The remaining seven whose names were announced are Junichi Uda, 34, Yuki Omura, 23, Yuka Kasama, 22, Ami Kuriki, 30, Sachie Tsuda, 41, Keisuke Yokota, 34, and Mikiko Watanabe, 35.

According to the police, all 35 victims have been identified using DNA analysis.

The police said they will continue to seek approval from the remaining victims' families to release their names.

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue