WORLD Remaining Russian forces in Syria can handle terror attacks: Kremlin

WORLD

Remaining Russian forces in Syria can handle terror attacks: Kremlin

Xinhua

20:34, January 09, 2018

jierbin.jpg

Syrian children stand next to a member of the Russian military police in Jibrin, on the outskirts of Alepo (Photo: VCG)

Moscow is confident that its remaining contingent in Syria can combat terror attacks, the Kremlin said Tuesday.

"The contingent and military infrastructure remaining at the stations in Hmeymim and Tartus have all the necessary capabilities to crack down (on) these manifestations (of terrorism)," presidential spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said.

Last week, the contingent foiled a series of drone attacks aimed at the Hmeymim and Tartus military bases in Syria.

Though aware that the terror attacks may continue, Moscow does not consider its military withdrawal premature.

"When adopting the decision on the withdrawal of our servicemen from Syria, we were primarily guided by the factor that there were no longer any grounds for conducting large-scale offensive operations," Peskov said.

Instead, the raids brought to light the need for a political resolution of the Syria conflict, he added.

Last month, the Russian army began a partial withdrawal from Syria under the command of President Vladimir Putin, soon after Syrian troops supported by Russian servicemen completed the destruction of the Islamic State in the war-torn country.


Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue