WORLD Turkey sees YPG withdrawal incomplete; joint Russian patrols to start Friday

WORLD

Turkey sees YPG withdrawal incomplete; joint Russian patrols to start Friday

CGTN

02:00, October 31, 2019

af588571bb4f4412a6ee9b5f89d5be52.jpg

The entrance of a tunnel dug by PKK, listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the US and the EU, and Syrian Kurdish YPG militia, in Syria, October 21, 2019. (Photo: VCG)

Turkey had information that the Kurdish YPG militia has not completed its withdrawal to 30 km (18.64 miles) from the Turkish border in northeast Syria, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Wednesday, despite assurances from Russia that they had left. 

He told lawmakers from his AK Party that Turkey reserves the right to launch another operation against the YPG in the area. 

Ankara and Moscow had agreed to remove Kurdish YPG fighters from a depth of 30 km south of the border inside Syria by late Tuesday and Russia told Turkey that the YPG had left the strip within the 150-hour deadline.

"Even though the information in our hands suggests this has not been succeeded in a full sense, we will give our response to them after our field assessments," he said. 

Joint patrols had been set to begin on Tuesday at a depth of 10 km, but Erdogan said in Wednesday's speech that the patrols would begin on Friday and at a depth of just 7 km. 

"If we see that the members of the terrorist organization have not been moved out of the 30 km, or if attacks continue, no matter from where, we reserve our right to carry out our own operation," he said. 

Earlier, Defence Minister Hulusi Akar was quoted by state-owned Anadolu Agency as saying that talks between Turkish and Russian officials, ongoing since Monday, had concluded and the two delegations had "largely" reached an agreement. 

Turkey views the YPG as a terrorist organization because of its links to Kurdish militants in southeast Turkey. Ankara launched an offensive against the formerly US-allied YPG following President Donald Trump's abrupt withdrawal of 1,000 American forces from northern Syria in early October.

"Even though the information in our hands suggests this has not been succeeded in a full sense, we will give our response to them after our field assessments," he said. 

Joint patrols had been set to begin on Tuesday at a depth of 10 km, but Erdogan said in Wednesday's speech that the patrols would begin on Friday and at a depth of just 7 km. 

"If we see that the members of the terrorist organization have not been moved out of the 30 km, or if attacks continue, no matter from where, we reserve our right to carry out our own operation," he said. 

Earlier, Defence Minister Hulusi Akar was quoted by state-owned Anadolu Agency as saying that talks between Turkish and Russian officials, ongoing since Monday, had concluded and the two delegations had "largely" reached an agreement. 

Turkey views the YPG as a terrorist organization because of its links to Kurdish militants in southeast Turkey. Ankara launched an offensive against the formerly US-allied YPG following President Donald Trump's abrupt withdrawal of 1,000 American forces from northern Syria in early October.


Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue