WORLD Two 14-year-old boys charged with conspiracy to murder in Britain

WORLD

Two 14-year-old boys charged with conspiracy to murder in Britain

Xinhua

03:36, November 02, 2017

45D4174200000578-5040123-Residents_in_the_Yorkshire_town_said_they_were_astonished_by_the-a-1_1509559638974.jpg

Northallerton, North Yorkshire. Map Photo: Google

Two 14 year old schoolboys arrested by counter terrorism cops in northern England were both charged Wednesday night with conspiracy to murder.
  The boys, from the small market town of Northallerton in North Yorkshire, were arrested last Saturday as part of an intelligence led investigation, supported by North Yorkshire Police.
  Following an investigation by detectives from Counter Terrorism Policing North East, the two teens have been charged with conspiracy to murder.  One of the boys has also been charged with aggravated burglary.
  They have been held in custody and will appear Thursday before magistrates in Leeds.
  The names of the boys have not been released because of their age.
  The mayor of Northallerton has called for security to be reviewed at the town's largest public annual event in the wake of the two arrests.
  Thousands of townsfolk are expected at an annual "Guy Fawkes" fireworks event this weekend.
  Mayor John Forrest told local media he had been stunned by last weekend's intense police activity in the town, which saw the North-East Counter Terrorism Unit take two 14-year-olds into custody "on suspicion of preparing for an act of terrorism".
   Forrest issued a call for residents to unite and "show spirit" ahead of the town celebrating its 50th fireworks display on Sunday.
  The mayor said: "It is unbelievable that this sort of thing has happened and is putting Northallerton on the map for all the wrong reasons. The danger is people letting it get them down.
  "I would like to see the residents of Northallerton just carry on and to keep their chins up.
  Deputy Chief Constable Lisa Winward of North Yorkshire Police, said: "We wholeheartedly understand the concerns shared by the communities in Northallerton and the wider area of North Yorkshire.
  "However we would like to reassure the public that local officers are committed to ensuring the public remain safe, and are working hard to reassure those communities who have been affected."
  Stuart Carlton, Director of Children and Young People's Services at North Yorkshire County Council, said; "We fully recognise that there are concerns as a result of this investigation. We are working with the police to provide reassurance to the local community, and in particular to the young people, parents and staff connected with this case and we will continue to provide support with our partners." 

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue