WORLD UN forum calls for Asia-Pacific transformations to sustain devt

WORLD

UN forum calls for Asia-Pacific transformations to sustain devt

By Yin Miao | People's Daily app

14:35, July 17, 2018

n82958006-72414348.jpg

New York (People’s Daily) - Increased engagement from all sectors of society with government help will be key to advancing the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in the region.

This was the message at the High-level Political Forum (HLPF) in New York today where participants heard the outcomes of the 5th Asia Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development (APFSD).

“In light of the complex risks facing the region, the 5th APFSD stressed the importance of inclusive, multi-stakeholder participation, including by disadvantaged, poor, vulnerable and risk-exposed populations, and engagement by all levels of government,” said Co-Chair of the APFSD, Levan Davitashvili, Georgia’s Minister of Environment Protection and Agriculture, said in his report.

Asia-Pacific has seen welcome advancements over the past three years, including in some of its least developed countries. Healthier lives are being led and wellbeing has increased. Poverty levels are declining, albeit too slowly. Innovation is powering new industries and infrastructure, and the region’s track record in poverty reduction over the past few decades is unparalleled.

According to the Asia and the Pacific SDG Progress Report 2017, Goal 4 focused on achieving quality education and lifelong learning opportunities. Efforts to widen the access to pre-primary education and strengthen the quality of teacher training have been particularly successful. During 2000 and 2017, 64% of the target has been achieved and  the rest 36% of the target is needed to be made by 2030 if at the current rate of progress.

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue