WORLD US planning a 'bloody nose' attack against NK nuclear program: Telegraph

WORLD

US planning a 'bloody nose' attack against NK nuclear program: Telegraph

People's Daily app

13:58, December 22, 2017

微信图片_20171222135701.jpg

Photo: VCG

The United States is allegedly preparing a “bloody nose” attack to force North Korea to stop its nuclear program.

The pre-emptive armed force aims at destroying a launch site before it is used by the regime for a new missile test, while another targets weapons stockpiles, according to the Telegraph.

The Telegraph says that the Trump administration is "dramatically" ramping up efforts in the area in case diplomacy is not enough to stop Kim Jong-un from following through on his continued threats. The armed force could show Pyongyang that the US is serious about stopping the nuclear program and triggering negotiations.

Sources provided by the Telegraph are anonymous but are said to include two officials "familiar with White House thinking" and a current administration insider.

“The Pentagon is trying to find options that would allow them to punch the North Koreans in the nose, get their attention and show that we’re serious,” said a former security official to the paper. "The current plans indicate that Trump is more willing to use a military option than previously thought." 

Related Stories

Terms of Service & Privacy Policy

We have updated our privacy policy to comply with the latest laws and regulations. The updated policy explains the mechanism of how we collect and treat your personal data. You can learn more about the rights you have by reading our terms of service. Please read them carefully. By clicking AGREE, you indicate that you have read and agreed to our privacy policies

Agree and continue