The White House (File photo)
Washington (People's Daily) - The White House said in a statement on Monday that US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un will participate in a one-on-one meeting after their initial greeting, accompanied by translators only, followed by an expanded bilateral meeting and a working lunch.
In the expanded bilateral meeting there will be a broader delegation which will include Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Chief of Staff John Kelly and National Security Advisor John Bolton. An expanded group of officials will join for the working lunch, including Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, US diplomat Sung Kim and National Security Council Senior Director for Asia Matt Pottinger.
The statement says discussions between the US and North Korea "have moved more quickly than expected," and added that Trump would participate in a media availability at 4 pm local time before flying back to the US, apparently removing the possibility that Trump’s meeting with Kim could extend into a second day.
The White House had held open the possibility earlier that there might be “a second day” of the meeting if it goes well.
The White House expressed optimism about the historic meeting, which follows days of talks between high-level officials on both sides about denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday that the US had substantive and detailed meetings to date, including a meeting with the North Koreans on Monday morning.
Earlier Monday, Pompeo offered a preview of the summit, saying the US is prepared to offer "different" and "unique" security assurances to North Korea in exchange for the complete, verifiable and irreversible dismantlement of its nuclear program. But he declined to say what assurances the US would offer and specifically refused to say if the removal of American troops from South Korea will be on the table.