Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi gave a press briefing on Sunday afternoon to answer questions from journalists on China's foreign policy and foreign relations. Talking about global anti-pandemic efforts, the China-US relationship, Hong Kong’s national security legislation, and virus tracing, the press conference for more than an hour was filled with a lot of information. The People's Daily app has summarized the key information. Watch the review of the media conference.
Photo: Bai Yuanqi/People's Daily
1. Political manipulation will give the virus loopholes to exploit
Political manipulation will give the virus loopholes to exploit; a beggar-thy-neighbor approach will leave each of us more vulnerable; rejection of science will allow the virus to wreak greater havoc.
2. A "political virus" that loses no opportunity to attack and smear China is spreading in the United States
It is most regrettable that while the coronavirus is still out there, a "political virus" is also spreading in the US and jumping at any opportunity to attack and slander China.
3. China has no intention to change, still less replace, the US
China has no intention to change, still less replace, the US. It’s time for the US to give up its wishful thinking of changing China or stopping the 1.4 billion Chinese people’s historical march toward modernization.
4. Be wary of some political forces in the US pushing China and the United States toward a so-called "new Cold War"
Some political forces in the US are taking China-US relation hostage and pushing our two countries to the brink of a "new Cold War". This is a dangerous attempt to turn banck the wheel of history. The attempt would ruin the cooperation results achieved by both peoples over the years, undermine the future development of the United States, and jeopardize stability and prosperity of the world.
5. Some people in the US overestimate their rumor-mongering abilities
Some politicians in the US are eager to label the virus, politicize its origin and stigmatize China.They overestimate their own capacity for rumor and underestimate the world's capacity for judgment.
6. Watching from an apparently safe distance and sitting idle will eventually backfire
When a disaster wreaks havoc, watching from an apparently safe distance and sitting idle will eventually backfire. Pointing fingers at others will only end up damaging one's own reputation.
7. China and Russia have forged an impregnable fortress against the "political virus"
China and Russia have forged an impregnable fortress against the "political virus" and demonstrated the strength of China-Russia strategic coordination.
8. China is not a savior, but is willing to be a friend in need
The epidemic is still raging in countries. China is not a savior, but is willing to be a friend in need and a sincere partner for mutual help in times of difficulties.
9. Nothing of China's COVID-19 assistance is out of geopolitical calculation
Nothing of China's COVID-19 assistance is out of geopolitical calculation, or in pursuit of economic gains, or with any political strings attached
10. No external interference in Hong Kong affairs will be tolerated
Hong Kong affairs are China's internal affairs, and no external interference will be tolerated.
11. The NPC decision does not affect the high degree of autonomy in Hong Kong
The NPC decision is targeted at a narrow category of acts that seriously jeopardize national security. It does not affect the high degree of autonomy in Hong Kong. It does not affect the rights and freedoms enjoyed by Hong Kong residents. And it does not affect the legitimate rights and interests of foreign investors in Hong Kong.
12. The interaction between China and Europe is not a knockout match which results in only one winner
The interaction between China and Europe should be a positive cycle that enables their mutual success, not a knockout match which results in only one winner.
13. Lawsuits against China over COVID-19 have zero basis for fact, law, int'l precedence
The attempt to fire frivolous lawsuits is a shoddy one, as it has zero basis in fact, law or international precedence.
14. It is a daydream to deprive the Chinese people by using ludicrous lawsuits
Today's China is not what it used to be a hundred years ago, nor is the world anything like the one from a century ago. If anybody thought they could use some ludicrous lawsuits to undermine China's sovereignty and dignity or to deprive the Chinese people of their hard-won gains, they'd be daydreaming and bring disgrace to themselves.
15. We treat the safety of African nationals in China like family members
We treat African nationals in China like family members. For example, the more than 3,000 African students in Hubei and Wuhan were all safe and well, except for one person who was infected and quickly cured.
16. We will push back against any deliberate insult
We never pick a fight or bully others, but we have principles and guts. We will push back against any deliberate insult to resolutely defend our national honor and dignity.
17. Those who go out of their way to label China as a hegemon are precisely the ones who refuse to let go of their hegemonic status
No matter what stage of development it reaches, China will never seek hegemony. Those who go out of their way to label China as a hegemon are precisely the ones who refuse to let go of their hegemonic status.
18. Those who throw mud at the World Health Organization (WHO) will only leave a stain on themselves
As for WHO's international standing and its place in history, clear-eyed people the world over will reach a fair conclusion, one that will not be altered just because some country does not like it.Those who throw mud at the World Health Organization (WHO) will only leave a stain on themselves.
19. Do not misjudge the firm determination of the 1.4 billion Chinese people to safeguard national unity
Reunification of the two sides of the Taiwan Strait is the trend of history. China urges the United States not to make any attempt to challenge China's red line on the Taiwan question and not to misjudge the firm determination of the 1.4 billion Chinese people to safeguard national unity.
20. It is sheer nonsense to claim that China is using COVID-19 to expand its presence in the South China Sea
There is nothing to support the claim that China is using COVID-19 to expand its presence in the South China Sea. China has been focusing on anti-epidemic cooperation with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) countries recently. Both sides have supported and helped each other with their mutual trust further enhanced. South China Sea is witnessing mutual assistance and cooperation between China and the ASEAN countries in epidemic fight.
(Compiled by Zhu Yurou)